Sunday 6 October 2013

Friday 4 October

Travelling in the Mini Bus from
Lilongwe to Mzuzu
Apologies for not posting anything before now. We were unable to get fixed up with internet access till today. Hopefully on Monday we should be better organised and able to publish daily. We have all arrived safely in Mzuzu, even our  luggage, despite some scare stories at Amsterdam about some members of the group's  bags having not been put on the plane at Glasgow.
 





" The flights were really exciting! Having never seen any of the places we flew over I made an effort to stay awake and see the sights. This lasted until the third flight when I could no longer keep my eyes open. I slept for most of that one. Seeing our bags at the airport was an amazing feeling. The bus ride to Mzuzu was a real eye opener. Seeing all the houses beside the road that were partially complete made me feel really lucky to have a proper house back home. I didn’t see too much as I slept a lot but elephant rock was beautiful. The country is so different to Scotland and it was really amazing to take in. "  
Sophie Lewis


 
"Boarding the first flight, everyone was optimistic and really excited but by the second flight almost everyone was snoring and catching flies! It was a real culture shock landing in Nairobi compared to Amsterdam and Glasgow. We saw people in their traditional dress and got a few stares. Megan, Amy and I took a brief walk and were shocked to see people sleeping, on the floor, by the side. By the time we arrived in Lilongwe everyone was glad to be off the plane but looking forward to the sightseeing in the bus. We weren’t disappointed. As soon as we left the airport we saw women carrying heavy buckets on their heads, men with bikes piled full of wood and children running along the road in their bare feet. Seeing things like this lets me see that I am so lucky to have the things I do at home. All the scenery was incredible! We stopped to take photos at elephant rock, which was beautiful."

 Sophie Fulton


2 comments:

  1. Glad you have survived the journey - it looks like you will have a fantastic time. Phoebe and I had bacon rolls after mass today - thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to get an update , sounds like a great start to your adventure , hope you are all enjoying the experience.

    ReplyDelete